25 June 2013

FAST

renew: fasting

I'm no stranger to the act of fasting.

in the past few years, I've done three long-term fasts of a week or more. of course I don't cut out food entirely for weeks on end -- that would be unhealthy + unwise. I've followed the Daniel Fast twice, just finishing up a shortened version [one week instead of three] yesterday.

in my search for renewal in a new + unfamiliar space, I knew that the first thing I had to do was fast. it meant sacrificing a few things [in this case, certain foods + drink] in order to focus more clearly on God + His will for this season I'm in.

after a week of no animal products, preservatives, yeast, sugar, or drinks other than water, my body feels good. my mind feels even better. I was able to hone in on the things that are clogging up my days, as well as some things that leave me feeling light + fresh.

I like to wake up early. in my senior year of university, I found myself going to bed at 9pm and waking around 5am almost every day. I probably didn't have a normal university experience. but in that season of early to bed + early to rise, my days ran smoothly, I studied better, and I had healthier days in general. I was getting enough sleep instead of staying up half the night doing silly things, and I got much-needed alone time in the mornings while my five housemates were still in bed.

the past two months, living with my parents, have been the complete opposite. they like to stay up late, as does my husband, and even though I know better, I have a hard time going to bed before everyone else. even Rowan's bedtime has been pushed back -- it's nearing [or sometimes past!] 10pm by the time she's tired, and she doesn't wake until 11am. her sleeping in has been a bit of a blessing to me, because I'm able to sleep in later as well, to catch up on the rest I've missed by crawling into bed well past the midnight hour.

this early bedtime + early waking thing is not an AHA! moment I gleaned while fasting. it's something that's been apparent to me for the past four years.

BUT, this week while I spent time with God in my face instead of the sour cream container, it became clearer that waking early after a full night's sleep isn't just a preference of mine, it's a necessity. it's something that my body + my mind need in order to love Jesus, to love others, and to love well.

what's a simple thing you need in order to love well?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blogging tips